Wilson Security Racing GRM driver James Moffat had a weekend to forget at Tasmania’s Symmons Plains Raceway, with a tough pair of races.

The racing portion of the weekend started on the back foot for Moffat, who was caught in the middle of an accident that involved half of the 26 car grid.

Following extensive repairs overnight by the GRM crew, Moffat’s comeback drive on Sunday was halted by an early race incident, which saw the car sent to the pits for repairs.

With the Saturday race not counting towards the championship point score, Moffat currently sits in 13th position on the season standings.

The Virgin Australia Supercars Championship continues at the Phillip Island Grand Prix circuit from April 21-23.


  • Twin 45 minute long practice sessions.
  • Moffat ended the day with the 13th and 15th fastest times from the respective sessions.

“It’s nice to get back in the car – Tassie is always a fun and challenging track to drive,” said Moffat.

“We got through our normal practice program on a Friday, tuning the car throughout the two 45-minute practice sessions.

“Car balance shifted the wrong way when we fitted our best set of tyres in practice two, which confused us a little but we later found out that some setup adjustments had gone the wrong way to what we were expecting.”


  • A final 45 minute long practice session netted the eighth fastest time.
  • Wet qualifying didn’t go to plan for Moffat, who set the 18th quickest time.
  • After a strong start on a wet track, Moffat had nowhere to go as half of the field crashed on the run to the hairpin on the second lap.

“There were some changeable weather conditions throughout the day, which made it difficult to know what to do with the car setup,” said Moffat.

“We struggled for tyre temperature and grip in the wet qualifying session, and we were disappointed with our effort.

“I got involved in the massive pile up at the beginning of the second lap having already made up a few spots.

“It’s not the outcome we wanted, having both GRM cars involved in the accident with heavy damage, but it was really an almost unavoidable situation.”


  • Extensive overnight repairs saw Moffat’s Commodore return to the track for Sunday’s wet qualifying session, where the umber 34 machine was the 19th fastest.
  • Another strong start saw Moffat settle in 15th at the end of the first lap.
  • The race unravelled on lap four for Moffat, when he came out worse for wear following a battle with team mate Garth Tander, Lee Holdsworth and Michael Caruso.
  • Quick repairs by the team saw Moffat make it to the finish in 19th position.

“It was a great effort from the team to repair both cars for Sunday,” said Moffat.

“Again we struggled for enough speed in the wet qualifying session, which meant another disappointing result.

“I started on wet tyres for the race with the expectation that there was going to be more rain throughout the day.

“The car felt pretty good early on with the damp track but I got tangled up with (Michael) Caruso exiting the Hairpin which damaged the left rear suspension.

“The team did a nice job to get me back out into the race after repairing the damage, but we were seven laps down on the field.

“From that point on, it was all about getting to the end of the race and salvaging whatever points we could.

“It was a shocker of a weekend and one we will put behind us and move onto Phillip Island in two weeks.”